Saturday, July 11, 2020

Hallelujah!


Donald Trump has commuted Roger Stone's prison sentence. It is, says Stone, a sign of God's mercy. Because, you see, Roger has come to Jesus. Howard Fineman writes in The Washington Post:

When I called Roger Stone early Friday evening, he was in the midst of doing an online interview with an evangelical Christian leader. He let me listen in. It was, shall we say, a revelation. Until recently about as un-devout as a lapsedeverything could be, he earnestly recounted for an equally earnest interviewer how he’d been saved by Jesus Christ at a Franklin Graham rally.
“I stood up,” Stone said. “I accepted Christ as my savior. I felt like a cement block had been lifted from my chest.” His newfound faith had given him a ticket to eternal salvation and, perhaps, a stay-out-of-jail card.
Like God, President Trump was merciful, Stone said. Trump was a man of “enormous fairness and compassion” and would lift the burden Stone was facing.

And God only knows what the future holds for Stone:

“I know there is a lot of skepticism,” he said in the audial version of a straight face. “Who knows? A year from now you may be calling me Reverend Stone! What else am I going to do with all these white suits I own?”

Hallelujah!

Image: The New York Times

4 comments:

Marie Snyder said...

I originally misread the beginning as "a sign of God's money" and thought, okay, so that's what we're calling it now! Jeez.

Owen Gray said...

I suspect Marie that -- for Stone -- mercy and money are synonyms.

jrkrideau said...

I am glad to see that Stone threw in Franklin Graham's name. It would just not do to be saved by some hedge-preacher. One must maintain standards!

Owen Gray said...

A notable point, jrk. No anonymous preacher for Roger. Only a big gun will do.