Thursday, May 04, 2023

We Know Who She Is

Danielle Smith's past keeps coming back to hurt her. Luke LeBrun writes:

A newly resurfaced video shows Alberta UCP leader Danielle Smith endorsed the Ottawa convoy occupation and Coutts border blockade as a means to force an end to public health measures across Canada.

Last week, Smith faced heavy criticism after posing for photos with James Bauder, a prominent convoy organizer who is now facing extensive criminal charges. Smith denies knowing who Bauder is, though Bauder himself doesn’t buy her story.

But the UCP leader’s recent attempt to distance herself from the convoy stand in clear contrast with her own past statements.

Several months before her whirlwind rise to Premier of Alberta, Smith endorsed the convoy occupation of Ottawa and illegal blockade at the Canada-US border in Coutts, Alberta during an appearance on a right-wing website.

Jason Kenney tried to calm the storm:

Two weeks earlier, former Premier Jason Kenney pleaded with convoy supporters to dial down the temperature and deescalate a potentially dangerous situation:

“I call for calm amongst anybody who feels sympathetic for those engaged in this blockade. Please stay away from the area. Please do not further intensify an already difficult situation.”

Not so Ms. Smith:

A week after Kenney’s “call for calm,” Smith went beyond expressing sympathy with the grievances of those in Ottawa and Coutts and endorsed the actions by stating that she wanted to see the convoy “win.”

Smith was asked about her views on Coutts in a February 2022 livestream broadcast by the Western Standard.

“This whole phrase of ‘peace, order and good government’, I think it’s become a shorthand to the federal government can do whatever the heck it wants and we just have to be peaceful and orderly about it,” Smith says when asked about Coutts.

That’s not, in my view, what it should mean.”

We know who Smith is. Let's hope Albertans do, too.

Just a brief note. I'll be writing less frequently. The news these days is unremittingly bad. And I'm getting repetitive. My readers need a break. And so do I.

Image: Press Progress


8 comments:

zoombats said...

I wasn't going to comment on The Premieres character because like you I am getting tired of her schtick anyway. Having said that I will have to find a new kick start to my work day as here in Illinois, (8:00 AM) I start my morning after reading your post. I was concerned when you skipped a day. Have fun, it is summer after all.

Owen Gray said...

I'll be back at some point, zoombats. But there are times when you have to step back.

e.a.f. said...

That is the problem with aging baby boomers writing blogs we get addicted to, they slow down.
In B.C. we have a blogger who has the nerve to go on vacation. Now he is over 70 and a retired journalist, but still, what are we supposed to, o.k. go on vacation. In the winter he goes on cruises for weeks in warm climates.

One writes less, he isn't well.
Another blogger has a full time job which demands his attention at times.
One blogger just decided to take their life in a new direction.

Writing blogs is difficult work at times and impacts family and personal life.

I am gratefull to all the bloggers around who do a great job of providing opinions and factual information.

Owen Gray said...

We all eventually decide to take a break from blogging, e.a.f.

jrkrideau said...

It gets better and better
/ Unhinged: Danielle Smith says vaccinated Albertans are just like the German voters who elected Hitler

I read or heard yesterday that Premier Smith was asking the Federal Gov't for help in the face of those horrible wildfires that are hitting Alberta. In light of her Independent Alberta legislation will federal civil servants need visas?

Northern PoV said...

"Just a brief note. I'll be writing less frequently. The news these days is unremittingly bad. And I'm getting repetitive. My readers need a break. And so do I."

Oh no, don't follow the Mound down! ;-) One less sane spot on the web to process the world?

I will miss your commentary and especially the posting of firewalled material from the Star, Globe etc.

I have been impressed with the frequency of your diligent posting.
Enjoy your break, then perhaps return ... and winnow down to the most evocative stories?

Owen Gray said...

Good question, jrk. We live in a time when nutbars are seen as prophets. Caveat emptor.

Owen Gray said...

It's a matter of keeping one's sense of balance, PoV. At plan to return. I just don't know when.